Yeah this is so so strange of me here. Me posting about hair care!! If my mom came to know about this, she’d first be rolling on the floor laughing and then look at me skeptically – giving me the death stare 😛
There are reasons for everything, though.
Secondly, my mom would give me the death stare because I take care of my hair like a lot!! (If you didnt get the sarcasm there, please do get it now) 😛
But all these things apart, the reason I am here, posting about this is out of my mom’s genuine concern for her hair. Now, dont get me wrong – she doesnt have a long, silky, soft, smooth and flowing hair. Most of that has disappeared after marriage – and more so after I started asking questions about life (:P)
My childhood memories are filled with my mom taking good care of my hair – yeah, my hair – with all of these:
- regular, once-a-week, mandatory hair-wash with shikakai. Shampoos came very late.
- applying oil to the hair every day – and it was not just applying oil. it was a 3-minute soothing massage that would often put me to sleep.
- making sure the hair isnt disheveled (this was not just for “looks” but also to keep the hair-line in check :P)
And yeah, my childhood memories are also filled with one more important thing: How Not To Care For Your Hair!
My mom is unlike everyone else – rather than tell me how to do something, she’d tell me how NOT to do something. The underlying principle, I came to know of later, was that things are perfect as they are – till we enter the scene and disturb the balance.
So here are some simple ways on how NOT to do something that would affect your hair:
- Dont fret too much about hair-fall: Strange as it might sound (or common if we go by my previous post), one of the first things you shouldnt do is worry. Scientists have linked “worry” as an important factor in hair-fall and that’s very ba(l)d. (note to self: now I know why my dad’s bald and my mom’s been facing the problem of rapid hair-fall – they probably mutually worry about how they could have lived happily had they not tied the knot 😛)
- Never forget that coconut oil is the best remedy: Not for nothing do the Malayalis depend so much on coconut oil. It has powers that science has yet to discover/uncover. Sure, we have uncovered the coconut and found out many things inside, but the powers are hidden. Applying coconut oil everyday is something that you JUST CANT miss – I missed out on that and the result is my mom scolding me every morning – and a slight recession in my hairline 😦 😉
- Dont wash your hair too often: I tend to see grooming your hair as a farming activity 😛 Oh yeah, too much water spoils the farm plants, you know? That’s called flooding. The hair behaves much in the same way. Too much water, and it tends to fall even faster than you can imagine. Blink and there goes another bunch! 😛 Once or twice a week is okay (yeah, mom mentioned it just now!)
- If you are applying Oil, Shampoo, Nourisher etc., Do A Massage: Now that I think about it, one of the most important reasons why I skip applying oil everyday is because I love my mom massaging my hair when she applies it – which makes the scoldings kinda acceptable 😛 Women today – most of them, I guess – are either rushing to the office or quite busy with other things. So all that happens is, pull some oil/nourisher out, rub as fast as you can (all sectors over the head covered, nevertheless) and then rush out. Well that is of “almost” no use, sweethearts 😛 Remember your mom or grandma applying shikakai or oil on your head? Remember why it felt so good? It was a massage. You may or may not need it, but your hair sure does 😀
Phew, I seem to have written quite a lot (without actually having anything to write!). But here are some interesting posts – with a tinge of humor (like the way I like) from my fellow bloggers on IndiBlogger. Oh yes, you will get some excellent tips on caring for your hair – unlike my post 😛
- Autobiography of Hair
- All Off…
- Hair Here, Hair There
- My MANE Obsession – this girl!! 12 hair-styles in 3 years! And she’s recorded every change 😀 Truly a maniac 😛
- The Prodigal Hair – from bald to curly hair, the tale of someone who underwent chemo.
- Hair and Tortoise
- Love Your Hair? Show it You Care! – very “picturesque” post 😀
- Hair Care, Desi Style to Modern Shampoos
- Hair Care and Me? – yeah I like this post – I can related to the title at least 😛
- Hair Today, Gone Tomorrow!
- Scribbled By GB’s post – one of the most popular and active IndiBloggers I’ve ever seen 😀
- My War Against Hair-Fall
That’s quite a large reading list, if you ask me. But if you’re serious about keeping yourself away from hurting your hair, I suggest you do read them all 😉 Hair a nice day. 😀